Nothing spells "cozy" more than the enticing aroma of homemade soup simmering on the stove. Hearty, rich and bursting with flavor, this blend features navy beans, yellow peas and lentils, among others, seasoned with our Tuscan Farmhouse Blend. A bowl of this soup will make you feel warm and wonderful on a chilly night.
Uses: Follow the recipe given below, or use this a a base for your own unique creation.
Ingredients: French navy beans, red, beans, pinto beans, black beans, yellow peas, green peas, lentils, unrefined sea salt, Italian herb blend, garlic, onion, red bell pepper, crushed red pepper, black pepper
Tuscan Farmhouse Bean Soup
- 1 bag s.a.l.t. sisters Tuscan Bean Soup Blend
- 1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage, sliced into 1 inch pieces (optional)
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded & diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato paste
- **1 ham hock (optional)
- 1 Tuscan Farmhouse Seasoning Packet (Included in bag)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups kale or Swiss chard, chopped
- Parmesan cheese, grated
Remove the seasoning packet and beans from the bag. Place beans in a large bowl; cover with water. Soak 6-8 hours or overnight. Drain beans; discard water. Heat EVOO in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, peppers and garlic; cook until softened, stirring often. *(If using sausage, cook with onion until transparent; add peppers and garlic, cook until soft). Add remaining ingredients, except kale/Swiss chard and Parmesan, stir to combine. Bring to a boil over high heat, skimming off any foam that rises to the top. Cover; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 1-2 hours or until beans are tender. Add kale or Swiss chard and simmer 15-20 minutes more. **(If using ham hock: take out, remove meat and add the meat back into the soup). Serve garnished with Parmesan cheese.