Smoky Mac & Cheese
By Charmane Andrews Skillen
Macaroni and Cheese with Applewood Smoked Sea Salt
Serves aprrox. 8
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1 tbsp. s.a.l.t. sisters Pink Himalayan Mineral Salt (for the pasta water)
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk, heated (do not boil)
- 8 oz extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 12 oz sharp white cheddar cheese, grated
- ½-1 tsp. s.a.l.t. sisters Applewood Smoked Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup bread crumbs, panko style
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9x13-baking dish.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente’. Drain pasta and put in large bowl.
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat and whisk in the flour. Cook over low heat for about 2-4 minutes, then gradually whisk in the warm milk. Cook until mixture thickens and is smooth, about 2 minutes, then take off heat.
Stir in a handful of each of the cheddar cheeses and stir until smooth, pour over pasta. Add the rest of cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir everything together, put in prepare baking dish. Top with bread crumbs.
Bake until hot and bubbly. Do not over bake. About 20-30 minutes.
Use left/right arrows to navigate the slideshow or swipe left/right if using a mobile device